The School of Teacher Preparation, Administration and Leadership (TPAL) offers both online and “hybrid” programs. The Educational Leadership programs and many of the classes in the other Master’s programs use a hybrid distance education program combining both asynchronous and synchronous delivery technologies.
The school also offers a totally on-line Licensure Program in Special Education and several hybrid programs (partly online, partly face-to-face).
On-line Certificate Programs
- Information Technology Endorsement
- Reading Endorsement Program
- Graduate Certificate in Education and Design in Learning Technology
- On-site classes and programs occur face-to-face on the Las Cruces Campus. Some of these classes may have Web enhancement features or services.
- Off-campus site classes and programs occur face-to-face in remote locations throughout the state or at one of our NMSU campuses in Alamogordo, Carlsbad, and Grants.
- Distance Education is a formal education process in which learning occurs through any electronic media (including hybrid classes) and/or through face-to-face meetings at off-campus sites.
- Online classes and programs occur when the instructors and learners are not in the same physical place for at least 90% of the time, through various electronic media, including asynchronous or synchronous electronic communication such as Canvas, Centra, Skype, Mediasite, and/or ITV. *
- Hybrid classes and programs occur through any combination of face-to-face (f2f) and electronic media (such as, but not limited to, Canvas, Centra, Skype, Mediasite, and/or ITV), typically in about equal amounts of f2f and electronic media time.
- Master’s Programs
Master’s programs are available for studies with emphasis in Curriculum and Instruction, Early Childhood Education, Educational Administration, On-line Teaching & Learning, and Special Education. These programs are composed of a moderated amount of coursework combined with research and field experiences culminating with a written examination over the program of studies. More information about these programs can be checked here:
Curriculum & Instruction
- Master of Arts in Education (Early Childhood Education)
- Master of Arts in Teaching (Spanish)
- Masters of Arts in Education (Online Teaching & Learning)
- Masters of Arts in Education (Language, Literacy and Culture)
Educational Leadership and Administration
- Master of Arts in Educational Administration (Emphasis in Higher Education)
- Master of Arts and Licensure Program in Educational Administration (Emphasis Pk-12 Educational Administration)
- Doctoral Programs
There are on-line doctoral programs available in the School of Teacher Preparation, Administration and Leadership in the areas of Curriculum & Instruction and Educational Administration. These programs are built around a cohort system that provides students with a supportive interactive environment. More information about these programs can be found here: