Language, Literacy and Culture
Reading Endorsement Program
An Integrated Curriculum and a Critical Pedagogy for Distance Education
Description of the Program:
The Distance Education Reading Endorsement Program at NMSU is an on-line, 24 credit hour program that qualifies teachers for the New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) K-12 reading endorsement.
- Graduate courses in Reading at NMSU are aligned with endorsement requirements by NMPED.
- Graduate courses in Reading meet content and teaching standards of the International Reading Association (IRA ) and the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
Core Courses & Program Overview:
- RDG 510 Adult and Family Literacy
- RDG 511 Literacy Assessment & Evaluation
- RDG 522 Language and Literacy Acquisition
- RDG 525 Pedagogy and Theory of Young Adult Literature
- RDG 530 Sociopsycholinguistics of Reading
- RDG 555 Introduction to Instructional Leadership for Literacy Education
- RDG 585 Internship in Reading /Literacy
- RDG 598 Special Topics: Theory and Pedagogy of Writing
Program Entry Requirements & Registration Procedures:
- All K-12 teachers who have an interest in understanding Reading/ Literacy are encouraged to contact our faculty.
For more information contact Dr. Mary Fahrenbruck (email@example.com) or (575-646-2326).
- To apply: Go to the NMSU Graduate School (https://gradschool.nmsu.edu/) and click on the “Apply to Graduate School” button on the right side.
- There is an application fee assessed by NMSU Graduate School. Also, a $20 university entrance fee for new non-degree students. Degree seeking students must be fully admitted to the Graduate School.
- Students in Online programs will be assessed a per credit distance education fee.